Ciudad de Zamboanga: A Short Trip To Asia's Latin City


Tell your parents you're off to Zamboanga and you'd probably see her old tsinelas flying directly at you. She'd question why of all the places you can visit here in the Philippines, bakit Zamboanga?

...but why not Zamboanga?

This was my third attempt to visit Zamboanga - and I'm glad my roundtrip tix didn't go to waste! My first attempt was cancelled as my Dad didn't really want me to go, despite the lies I told him that I wasn't flying solo! Second was a bummer. My vacation leave request was not approved. 

Third was as sweet as a rainbow cake. I told my Dad I needed to go to Zamboanga just to taste their famous Curacha and visit the one of a kind pink beach of Sta. Cruz Island. He said, "Okay. Sige. Ingat ka." Sweet. 


After flying for 80 minutes from Manila via Cebu Pacific Air (thank you so much for the amazing seat sale!), I finally reached Asia's Latin City: Ciudad de Zamboanga. I was surprised how amazing the airport looked like! Nothing compared to other airports I've been!


Touring around the city was a little bit challenging. Most people I asked told me to just ride a tricycle so I won't get lost as their "jeepney system" isn't very first-time-Zamboanga-visitor-friendly. 

To add more feels to your Zamboanga journey, go local! I had the chance to eat Satti, a local Muslim delicacy - Satti. Satti is a popular dish in Zamboanga and is served with sticky rice with sticks of grilled meat (chicken or beef) and a nice hot, thick, spicy hot sauce! There are also barters where you can buy your pasalubong. My Mom loved the Malong I bought her!

Also, one should not miss their famous Curacha in Alavar sauce! It may be a bit expensive but trust me, you'll be an instant fan!


Whether it is your first time to visit Zamboanga or not, don't skip Sta. Cruz island on your list. Sta Cruz island is Zamboanga's pink beach - 20-30 minute boat ride from Paseo del Mar. Roundtrip boat ride costs 1,000 Php per boat, max of 10 pax and you can only visit the island from 7:00AM - 2:00PM


So what makes the sand pink? These red organ pipe corals! These crushed red corals blended well with white sand giving it its pinkish color! Always remember not to take home these corals! 

Since you can only stay on the island until 2:00PM, go make the most out of it and swim til you get tired! Look how clear the water is!


You can also ask your boatman to take you to this sand bar on your way back to the main land! 

My overall Zamboanga experience was amazing! It was short but it's definitely something I won't forget! Is Zamboanga safe even for solo travelers? YES! Will I come back? ABSOLUTELY! I'll create a separate post of my Itinerary and how much I have spent. 

Sa susunod na byahe ulit!

Comments

  1. Sir! Thanks for visiting our province!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jade! Thanks for visiting!

      I had an awesome time in Zamboanga and I wish I could have stayed a little longer!

      I'll definitely be back to explore more places in Zamboanga and to visit its nearby province as well (Basilan).

      I've received a lot of messages from my friends and relatives about the "danger" of Zamboanga. I know that media has been telling negative feedback about Mindanao but I never felt or sensed any in Zamboanga. In fact, I felt a lot safer there than in Manila! Ha!

      Come visit me here in Laguna and I'll be your personal tour guide! :)

      Cheers and all the best!

      Delete
  2. Hi!

    Thank you for sharing the beauty of Ciudad de Zamboanga and it's unique Sta. Cruz Island!

    Come again and I'll host your stay! I sent you an email!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss my province!

    Thank u 4 sharing this, sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buena!

      I had so much fun in Zamboanga! I'd like to return and visit its nearby province, Basilan or travel all the way to Tawi-tawi!

      Ingat and have fun!

      Delete

Post a Comment