How Traveling Helped Me Move On From A Major Heartbreak


Many people travel to relax and getaway from the busy city life or to escape from their ever-so-demanding-job or to just simply find peace and harmony from their magulong isip.
I started my journey in Baguio January this year. That was a week after my partner and I decided to part ways. It was insane. I didn't know what to do, where to go, or how to live a life with the routine I was already used to.
My trip to Baguio was a disaster. My friend told me to go there as that was where my ex and I celebrated our first anniversary. "Pumunta ka sa Baguio kasi dun kayo nag anniversary," my friend told me. "Kumain ka kung san kayo kumain, puntahan mo yung sites na binisita nyo. Para pag naalala mo yung Baguio, sarili mo na ang maiisip mo. Hindi na sya."
It was hell for me. I cried for three days while I was in Baguio. After coming home from that trip, nothing changed - in fact, it became worse.
A week after my trip to Baguio, I decided to do a "Laguna loop" for three days. I carried my backpack and decided to go from Sta. Rosa to Los BaƱos, stayed a few hours then went straight to Sta. Cruz. I stayed overnight and met a few people. Came morning I went to Pagsanjan, Siniloan, Paete and Sta. Maria which is my Mom's hometown. After spending a night in Sta. Maria, I went to Rizal (I know its outside Laguna) then head back home in Sta. Rosa.
That journey felt good as fuck. I can't believe I made it alone. I met a lot of people and had the chance to interact with strangers. It was a good feeling.
But after coming home, the "kamusta na kaya sya? Iniisip ba nya ako? Nasan sya?" feelings came rushing back. It hurts to think that someone you used talk to for so many years suddenly stopped in a blink of an eye. Ang sakit putangina.
That was when I decided to travel again. And again. Aaaaand again. I made new friends and met so many awesome people and solo travelers like me who travel not just to move on but to explore what is out there. That was the time I realised I am stronger than I thought I was - and that I can do things on my own without my partner.
Travel bug bit me big time. From Sta Rosa, Laguna, I journeyed to south most part of quezon, went to Marinduque, did island hopping and spelunking, tried their best local cuisines, did an extreme cliff jumpings, traveled almost half a day up north, surfed with the waves, and found myself starring at the most magnificent site I've seen - the Batad Rice Terraces in Ifugao.
I lost my feelings for my ex. In fact, I barely think about us now. Everytime I do, it's not about getting the pieces put back together - but its about the lessons I learned while we were still together.
As of this writing, from January 2016, I have visited 27 out of 81 PH provinces.
If you're reading this and you are still thinking about your ex, then stop it already. Instead of spending your cash para uminom at makalimot, grab your backpack, hop on a bus and enjoy that long roadtrip. Chat with the locals. Try something extreme. Meet other people. Who knows, maybe yung forever mo nasa byahe din :)

Comments

  1. Hi sir. I like your blog. I like how you share your travel stories with your readers. Parang kasama mo sila sa journey mo. I am happy to know na nakapag move on ka na sa ex mo. Ingat palagi sir. Gusto ko sana magpakilala sayo pero nahihiya ako. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon,

      Thank you. Nako wag ka pong mahiya, hindi po ako nangangain ng tao. Haha. Ingat po!

      Delete
  2. Sabi nila makakalimutan mo ang taong nanakit sayo kapag nakahanap ka ng iba. Pero ikaw hindi gumamit ng tao para makalimot, instead nagtravel ka and found a new love... It's nice to know that people like you share your personal pain and ways of moving on from a hurtful past. Siguro hindi lahat ng nasasaktan kayang magtravel pero this only shows na may paraan para mawala ang sakit ng hindi nananakit ng kapwa at hindi napapabayaab ang sarilu. Thanks Drei!

    -R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello R,

      Thank you for dropping by :) Ayon nga, parang sa sobrang sakit, ayoko rin makasakit ng ibang tao..Kaya naisipan ko na lang mag travel - mas naging masaya pa ako :)

      Ingat palagi!

      Delete
  3. Sana nga ganun kadali magtravel.... on my part mahirap magleave.. Sa panahon ngayon na marami kang nakikilala, nakakausap and sometimes you get closer to a person and suddenly you felt na masyado na syang sweet, algi kau magkatxt at magkausap. And because of an inccident na may nagtanong sa status nio, nawala na sya. And you know to yourself na mahal mo na sya but you are scared kung ano magiging reaction nya. Would you still admit na Mahal mo sya kahit alam mo na hindi ikaw yung type nya?
    -R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi R,

      Hope all is well for you. My take on it? Sabihin mo sa kanya yung nararamdaman mo talaga. Malay mo, ganun din pala sya sayo - pareho lang kayong naghihintayan.

      Kung iba naman ang isagot nya, eh ganon talaga. At least you know where you stand.

      Have that big jump. Its okay to be scared, its okay to get hurt. Hindi naman araw arae pasko. And I'm sure you are smart enough to know kung ano ang dapat gawin in case kabaligtaran sa ine-expect mo ang mangyari.

      Cheers,
      Drei

      Delete
  4. Thanks Drei,

    Did you experienced that before? Na meron nageeffort gumising ng maaga just to wait for and say "Good Morning" or wait until you get home. I hate feeling like this towards somebody. I might tell that person pero before na lang siguro ako umalis ng pinas.

    -R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi R,

      What's stopping you from telling that person?

      Strike whilst the iron is hot.

      Cheers,
      Drei

      Delete
  5. The fact na iniiwasan nia na ako. Ayoko na ipilit ang sarili ko sa kanya. Masakit isipin pero kelangan. Gusto ko sya makausap ulit gaya ng dati, peeo nwla na lahat yun e. Hindi ko na din alam kung bakit. Sasaktan ko lang din lalo yung sarili ko kapag pinagpatuloy ko pa yung pagaantay sa reply na hindi na darating...

    R

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baka masaya na sya sa iba. Or baka sobrang busy lang nya.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment